Monday, August 31, 2009

Other: Thank You State Budget Crisis

As I mentioned in my last post, I came home today to a jury summons in my mailbox. I haven't had one in about 5 years now, so I was due. The last time, I did actually have to go in one day, but as they didn't end up drawing any juries from my pool, I was cleared for at least a year. It was also pretty cool, because there was a bus that stopped a block from my home and went straight to my assigned courthouse in downtown Los Angeles. This summons is actually for the same county courthouse, but sadly that bus route was cut in half between me and the courthouse. I'll have to take two separate lines now if I get called in, which is still much better than driving into downtown Los Angeles during morning rush hour.

Anyway, I called the 800 number to register. I guess I don't really have an excuse not to go, being unemployed and all, but, you know, I would like a job sooner than later, and I hope this doesn't interfere. Anyway, I felt like I spent about 6 years going through the phone menu and questionnaire, although it was probably only 5 minutes or so. However, I did do a little happy dance after one message. Because of the state budget crisis, county courthouse jury staff has a mandatory furlough every 3rd Wednesday of the month, meaning no prospective jurors from most pools, including mine, need to report on that day. My on-call week is the third week of the month! It's like I get a free day, reducing my chances of getting called in! (The phone message actually goes on to apologize for any inconvenience that may cause.)

No comments:

Labels!