Monday, January 26, 2009

Other: Story du Jour

My mother has a nose that has clearly been broken. My father liked to say that she had been kicked in the face while milking a cow (she did actually grow up on a working farm), but she'd always reply with her slightly annoyed, "Uh-huh."

Here's the real story. My grandmother would send my mother and her sisters to summer camp every year. My Aunt Mary is only about 16 months older than my mother, so they were about the same size and had the same coloring. One year my mother fell off the top bunk onto the concrete floor of the cabin, which was how she actually broke her nose. The camp counselor drove her home. When my grandmother opened the door, she looked at this kid with an extremely swollen face and asked, "Well, which one is it?"

No comments:

Labels!