Saturday, December 27, 2008

Knittin' Crap: Totoro Madness

totoroMy friend Steve really likes Totoro and painted him on his son's wall, so for Christmas I made him this Chu (blue) Totoro from this pattern by Heaven's Hellcat.

When I started it, I didn't know anything about Totoro. Co-irker Dan was stationed by the USAF in and around Japan for some years, and for some reason we were talking about Totoro one day. (I learned the "Chu Totoro" for the blue one and "Chibi" for the white Totoro from him.) So then I had to google for more information and found this neat site.

Turns out the blue Totoro is only one of the Totoros. The white one is smaller, but there's the grey one, which is relatively huge. I think the blue one I made was about, hmm, 10" tall? The proportions from the screen shots on that site are unclear, but I'm guessing O Totoro to scale would have to be about 4 times as tall. Yeesh. It took about 200 yards of blue yarn for the Chu Totoro. I don't feel like doing that math.

Then there's the NekoBasu, or CatBus. Well, someone else already made one of those...
Catbus from My Neighbor Totoro

I do need one of these Totoro bonnets, though. My head is getting cold waiting at bus stops. Maybe a nekobasu will stop for me!

Have I mentioned that I still haven't seen the original film?

No comments:

Labels!