Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Whiteboard Jungle: Change Management Request Hell

Some of you may have encountered "managed" environments at work, where, supposedly, every change is tracked and the exact state, more or less, of every system is known at every moment. (Heisenberg would be snorting his beer through his nose right about now; said beer may or may not be getting sprayed on his cat.)

The demon spawn of managed systems is the change management request (CMR). Need to change an application setting? File a CMR. Need to upgrade something? File a CMR. Need to throw a server out the window because it's driving you nuts? Make sure you file that CMR first!

But, just in case you didn't file that CMR first, here's a handy list of excuses!

  1. I didn't realize I needed a CMR to change the font color on my desktop.
  2. I would get blamed if the change broke something anyway, whether or not I got an approval first.
  3. I need a beer.
  4. The CMR web server ate my request, so I figured what the hell.
  5. You're supposed to approve it first? Why? You have no idea what I'm going to do.
  6. I could swear I hit the submit button for that request...
  7. Would you like a cookie?
  8. Doesn't it just make more sense to make the change first, see if it works, and then tell people when it does?
  9. This change management thing all smacks of some inane attempt to give ourselves the illusion that we can impose order on a system so complex that it can be nothing but chaotic. Oh, wait, it wasn't your idea, was it?
  10. Um, I forgot?

No comments:

Labels!