Friday, September 24, 2010

Metro Journal: Question concerning diaper changing on the bus

Yes, I actually sent this email to the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority.


Dear Metro,

Yes, you read that subject correctly. After riding Metro buses nearly everyday for years, yesterday I saw a first for me. I got on a southbound 794 at Hollywood Way & Thornton shortly after 5PM, and not much later, a couple changed their child's diaper right on a seat on the bus.

Of course, soiled diapers need to be changed quickly, but they had little excuse for not getting off the bus to find a bathroom as the 794 route south of the Burbank Airport stops near many gas stations and other public businesses with restrooms. It's unhygienic, obviously, smelly, and not really what I want to be looking at at the end of a long day at work. I really don't want to think about what would have happened had they dropped the used diaper on the seat or floor.

I suppose I should ask if there's some kind of, well, policy on changing a diaper on the bus. I realize I should have walked up to the driver and told him about it, but I was near the back of the bus, and I was rather shocked. And I'm quite certain you've heard stories of even more inappropriate and bizarre things people have done on MTA buses, but the whole thing still has me shaking my head.

Thank you,
(me)

No comments:

Labels!