Monday, July 20, 2009

Other: Vive Veronica Mars!

I went on to IMBD to look up something that became totally inconsequential when I saw this headline in the news sidebar:



Ok, Veronica Mars is one of my all-time favorite TV shows. It may not be able to compare to the childhood love I had for Wonder Woman1 or Dukes of Hazzard2, but children, well, have much more obsessive enthusiasm for pop culture entities than they have the taste in choosing them. Wait, what was my point? Oh, wait.

Back to Veronica Mars. I still can't help but sigh longingly whenever I think of the show's premature demise. I think, honestly, it was just too smart and too dark to appeal to a mass audience. But, well, what can you do? Oh, wait.

Back the article. Apparently Kristen Bell, who totally embodied the show's title character, tweeted,3 'VM movie fans- rob and i took it to WB- and they said "there is no enthusiasm" to make it :( so fans have to convince WB! rob and i r in!'4

So, of course, I went poking around and found the "Save Veronica Mars" site, no doubt created before the show actually got the ax, and while they appear to be bugging the crap out of Warner Bros, it soon became obvious to me why I don't actually go to these fan sites: they're scary. I love the show to pieces, but the cheesy quality of the hyperbole just... ew. And it's still not clear to me what I, as an individual, could do to help. And VM is far from the only show that has such a site. Anytime a show, particularly one with some kind of "cult status," is threatened with cancellation, these sites pop up like whack-a-moles. Letter-writing campaigns have worked only a handful of times over the years. Ok, it supposedly did actually save the original Star Trek for a third season, the first such time the technique succeeded, but it has become overused, often for shows which really don't deserve it, because they are clearly neither innovative, before-their-time, nor actually any good whatsoever, but as long as the fans are capable of cutting and pasting a canned email these days, boom, there's your letter-writing campaign. The studios and production companies must have staff members dedicated to sorting through and dealing with that stuff, and it must drive them insane, especially the illiterate emails asking when Full House is coming back on the air because it was the greatest show ever! I think I was working up to a point here... Oh, wait.

Ok, the next site on the google results looked a little more tastefully done, although WTF is with the nickname "Marshmellows?" Dare to be different, people! Wasn't that one of the tenets of the show? Not to label people? Especially not with such an incredibly inane misspelling. Geez.

Anyway, they have actual mailing addresses to which interested parties can send their pleas. Actually, from where I live, it's just over the river and through the woods. Well, if I'm feeling generous enough to call the Los Angeles Drainage Ditch a river, which it hasn't been in awhile.


1Which I still have fond memories of, even though, yes, it was a little cheesy. And it left me confused for awhile because they would talk about Nazis and then they would have a scene where they flashed "Nazi Headquarters" or something and I didn't put the spelling together with the pronounced word because, well, I was 7 or so and didn't know what Nazis were, really, except that Wonder Woman didn't like them, and I also didn't know it was a German word. And what about that theme song? I guess disco was a really good anti-Nazi weapon. Those Manhattan Project scientists were working in the wrong direction!
2Which I don't really have fond memories of. But I was 7 or so, and 7-year-olds, honestly, have crappy taste.
3I'll forgive her, because, well, it's about Veronica Mars!
4"WB" is, of course, Warner Brothers, which produced the show and therefore owns the rights. "rob" is Rob Thomas, the show's creator, not to be confused with the lame guy from that lame band.

No comments:

Labels!