Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Other: Happy Bastille Day!

Today is the 220th anniversary of the storming of the Bastille. The overrunning of the infamous Paris prison marks the beginning of the French Revolution, an event as bloody as the marching song that became the country's national anthem and remains so, minus some imperial interregnums, today.

We had to memorize the first verse of the Marseillaise during one of my years of high school French. Over 20 years later, I can still (badly) sing the whole verse and could probably write most of it out with reasonably correct spelling and punctuation, and it's not like I get to practice my French ever to keep it in shape. Pretty scary what my brain has kept. I hope you're happy, Mrs. Russey!

Allons enfants de la Patrie
Le jour de gloire est arrivé...

No comments:

Labels!