Friday, April 23, 2010

Whiteboard Jungle: More on Mail

At first I thought my work MacBook Pro had OSuX 10.5 (Leopard) on it because it was an older model. Someone else in my group had managed to get a brand-new model, which would have shipped with 10.6 (Snow Leopard), though, so I asked him how the Exchange integration in Mail and iCal was under 10.6 . We checked. He didn't have Snow Leopard. He had plain ol' Leopard. Turns out Snow Leopard hasn't been approved for internal use yet for some rather questionable reasons, so he got the official 10.5 image. (Word on the street is that a new image will be available next month. No, I am most definitely not going to shell out $29 to Apple to pay for the upgrade myself in the interim.)

You may ask, why is this mail issue so important? Well, because yesterday morning I woke up to a notice in my mailbox that I was close to my 2Gb mailbox limit. Did I mention I've been there 2 ½ weeks? Of course, it's not like I will need to read every single message, as the vast majority are automatically-generated notices, most of which can also be deleted immediately or need, at most, a retention period of a day or two, just in case. I am getting a better idea of which emails fall into which categories, but my rules and so forth are still requiring tuning. But anyway, yes, that adds up to probably about 5000+ emails a week. And that, dear readers, is why I am acutely sensitive to crappy mail programs.

Also this week, I had to fly to the Bay Area for the day. I learned that I am exquisitely allergic to Silicon Valley in the spring. My nose would not stop running. I thought I was going to drown.

Also in the news: I used IRC today for the first time since I was a frosh. It made me feel... dirty.

No comments:

Labels!