Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Knittin' Crap: Spoon's New BFF

submarine I designed this submarine thinking of my father. When he was sick, I had been trying to decide if I could make him something to let him know I was thinking about him. Well, he was never a sweater/scarf/excessively-cute-Japanese-cartoon-characters person, but he really liked naval and World War II history, so I had toyed with the idea of making a submarine.

I didn't start it, though, until after he was gone. I chose an old-WWII era sub, when they still looked more like battleships meant to go underwater than the cylinders we see today. It didn't turn out too well, and it's certainly not to scale, but it was a learning experience. I hand-felted the wool/mohair blend slightly, and then sewed it together and stuffed it the other day while watching The Golden Voyage of Sinbad for the first time in probably 25 years. (I loved that movie when I was a kid, but other than some of the Ray Harryhausen creatures, I had totally forgotten most of the movie. It was strange watching it again.)

Well, Spoon has a previously-established penchant for mohair. It didn't take him long to establish a relationship with the sub. I was hesitant to let him at it at first, but it's not like I really care for the thing, and it's actually pretty tough with the tight gauge and the felting, so I said, ok, have at it.

sub-love sub-pillow

No comments:

Labels!