Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pandora's Litter Box: Pandora vs. Spoon

updown Last night Spoon was annoying Pandora by, well, just hanging out a little too close. She was growling at him, but he somehow interprets that as playtime. I picked up a long wand toy, mostly to tap Pandora on the butt and distract her so I didn't have to get off the couch and she was closest to me, but as soon as Spoon saw it flailing through the air, he ran right around her and started playing. Aw, poor boy, just had ants in his pants.

Anyway, I thought I'd do a side-by-side comparison of the two to give my reader (singular now, I'm starting to think) an idea of the extreme differences between the two.

pdora
Pandora
bj2+spoon
Spoon
Origin Showed up spontaneously as a kitten 17 years ago at Heather'n'Dave's Adopted Sept 13, 2006 from the Pasadena Humane Society
Age 17½ calendar years approx. 4½ calendar years (shelter records were approximate)
Size Petite (8 pounds) Plus size (16 pounds)
Fuzziness 50% fur by volume Sleek but thick short hair
Smarts Extremely smart. Apparently, not very...
Bossiness (scale of 1 to 10) 11 3 (Pandora takes care of the food demands, so he mostly just wants some loving and playtime)
Reaction to vacuum cleaner Doesn't care unless it's about 3 inches from her face. Then she usually just glares at it Is halfway under the bed as soon as I take it out of the closet
Morning routine Sleep next to human's pillow and start reciting the day's to-do list as soon as there's movement Move up to cuddle for some morning love as soon as there's movement
Reaction to strangers Yeah, whatever. Just don't touch the tail. Tentative, but they're BFFs as soon as they're sitting on the couch.
Likelihood to insert self, unbidden, in the picture Low to medium Very high

An illustrative story: at some point last year, I was sitting on the couch knitting. I heard a rustling sound somewhere in the apartment, like one of the cats was attacking a paper bag. I ignored it. It stopped after a few minutes, but then after a short pause, it started coming closer. I looked up and Pandora was calmly standing in front of the couch with the raffia handle of a small paper sac looped over her neck and under one of her forelegs. She gave me a look as if to say, "You with the opposable thumbs, get this off, and don't you dare laugh." She sat patiently while I got her out of it, then sat down next to me. I left the bag on the floor in front of the couch and resumed my knitting.

A few minutes later, I heard the rustling sound again. I looked down and Spoon had put his head through one of the handles and looked panicked. I reached down to get it off, and he freaked out.

Pretty much par for the course...

2 comments:

Fluzz said...

I'm sure I'm not your only reader ;)

Pandora vs. Spoon sounds like my gorgeous Lou vs. Fred.

Karen said...

I can remember 8 of the cats I've lived with during my life (two died when I was pretty young so I don't remember them much) and they have all had very distinct personalities. The calico I lost 2½ years ago had even been diagnosed with OCD. Non-stop entertainment.

Labels!