Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Knittin' Crap: Starfleet, Tour 2, Science Missions

The June/July/August Starfleet Fiber Arts Corp tour has started out a little differently. Because we have all gotten Lost! In! Space! or something like that, instead of doing 6 missions for each of the 3 tour months, we were given all 18 missions at the start of June, to be completed over the full 3 month tour. (Same number of missions, yes, but different timelines.) There are 6 mission divisions, each of which has three tiers, α, β, and γ. (Forgotten your Greek letters? Suck it up.)

I will be summarizing my mission reports here as I finish each division. I've finished all 3 science division missions first, so here they are:

Tier Mission Requirements My report
α: Your Mission: Organize part or all of your data on Ravelry. Examples of tasks you might undertake are updating your stash, organizing your queue, filling your library, tagging your queue, favorites and/or projects, or adding your needles to the chart. This organization should take you more than one hour to achieve, with a target of two - four hours. You should provide at least one before and after screenshot to demonstrate your achievements.

If your Ravelry is the picture of pristine organization, organize your physical yarn stash. Check for moths, organize balls, assign yarn to projects, and get your stash looking wonderful. You should take a photograph of your wonderful stash to demonstrate your achievements.

If you are a paragon of organization when it comes to your Ravelry pages and knitting stash, please submit an organization project of similar rigor to the mission commander for approval. Once approval has been attained, you may begin.
As I have multiple hobbies/craft interests and a lot of yarn-y project ideas which don't fit in the Ravelry queuing system, I have been keeping a pencil-and-paper list. This morning I transferred the list to a Google docs spreadsheet, which will make it easier to maintain, and easier to figure out which projects are waiting for yarn when I happen to be in a yarn shop with my Android phone tricorder. As part of this project, I added relevant patterns to my Ravelry queue, which went from 42 to 54 entries, and highlighted projects which need yarn I don't already have in my stash.

ETA: Just spent a couple hours adding photos to WIPs that didn't have pics and updating a few. All except 5 WIPs now have pics (I have a *lot* of WIPs) and I quit when I did because the male feline "model" had become a real primo don and I couldn't get rid of him. (He weighs 18 pounds; you try moving him.)

Also, "before" picture of my project to-do list:
Old-style project lists

ETA2: Fat cat finally moved and I managed to finish taking WIP pictures without his big, white, color-imbalancing butt invading the frames. Mission complete.
β: Getting back through the force field is our main concern at the moment. The first thing we’ll need to do is gather as much information as possible. Observe and collect data by looking up into the sky, using the few sensors in the shuttles that still work, that organization system you set up previously.

Your Mission: Craft something inspired by the beauty of space. (There are some beautiful images to be found here: http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/)
Granted, this isn’t a view from our current position in deep space, but I have crafted what the Earth looks like from the Lunar Colony (assuming there were ever days with no cloud cover anywhere) for those of us homesick for the view:
The World

And here is my Felis catus, taking over the world. Or at least the picture of it.
Spoon Takes Over The World
γ: (WORKING WITH ENGINEERING γ) Using the information you’ve gathered about that force field, propose a hypothesis on how we can either shut down the force field, or break our way through it. Set up all the plans and blueprints for making it happen. Missions Options (the other half can be found over in Engineering) Option A: Write your own pattern. Maybe there’s something you’ve made in the past, but have never actually written it down. Do that now! (You do NOT have to actually work up the project.) As shown in my Engineering Alpha mission report, I’ve created a genetically engineered creature to help explore the bodies of water we encounter. I have written up the design so members of other stranded crews can benefit from this technology.
Lemon Shark Pattern Page

The pattern is here or you can go through the Ravelry pattern page for Lemon Shark.


Planeetta Maa pattern by Soile Peltokangas

No comments:

Labels!