Monday, June 13, 2011

Knittin' Crap: Rescue Nests

Rescue Nests Last fall I sent a dozen of these rescue nests to Valley Wildlife Care in the San Fernando Valley. They take in injured and ill wild animals and nurse them to health with the hopes of releasing them back into the wild. I found the pattern on Ravelry and hoped VWC could get some use out of them. Additionally, since big box acrylic is ideal for the nests both for its durability and washability, I could use up a lot of the stuff I had and hate to death.

I guess they're getting a lot of use of the things, too, because they've asked me for more. I started working on them again, because I still have plenty of that despised acrylic, except I had forgotten how slow-going they are to make. The gauge needs to be really tight so little legs don't poke through and get stuck, and cheap acrylic is painful enough to begin with. Ouch. As long as I break it up into short sessions, though, I can get them done. And it's for the little baby animals!

Anyway, for those who also have acrylic yarn they'd like to use up and to help a good cause (there are plenty of these rescue groups all over; you can find one near you, too), Laurie Bailty has posted the pattern here, free for non-profit use, for both crocheted and knitted versions.

No comments:

Labels!