Friday, January 15, 2010

Knittin' Crap: Ravelympics!

To coincide with the Winter Olympics, people on Ravelry have put together a parallel event: Ravelympics! The object is to challenge yourself with one or more projects, starting with the opening ceremonies on February 12 and finishing by the end of the Olympic games.

I somehow got myself made captain of the team for the Japanese Knitting and Crochet Group, a group which mainly consists of people like me, who can't read a word of Japanese but still love the patterns, with several multilingual people who help us puzzle through the rough written bits. (I'm captain because it was my idea to put together a team for the group.) I still think that Team Teami (teh-ah-me, Japanese for "hand-knit/crochet" (remember, the Japanese use the same word for "knit" and "crochet")) should get bonus points for people who are working off patterns they can't even read, but I'm not sure that will fly.

You can follow our progress on this Google docs spreadsheet. I'm still waiting for pattern information from most team members, but the game organizers haven't posted a finalized event listing yet. I'd been planning to make this sweater:
Pattern 12
but now the thought of finishing an entire pullover in 16? days is starting to freak me out.

Stay tuned for updates as the Games draw near!

No comments:

Labels!